Thursday, November 26, 2009

A 'Thank'imony

I'm grateful...

1. To have been able to go to the store all by myself this morning. No screams (at least none I had to be responsible for), no rushing, no scolding when a certain toddler starts throwing all the groceries out of the cart, no frantic searching for a binky when the shopping lasts too long, no tears at the checkout, no sweating profusely while carrying two babies and as many of the groceries as I can up two flights of stairs, and no extra trips up the said stairs.
2. For a kitchen with a sink, a dishwasher, and an oven all to myself in which to create "culinary masterpieces, the likes of which [were] only glimpsed" today.
3. To have only had to make a relish tray and a dessert and still have been able to enjoy all components of a Thanksgiving meal.
4. For President and Sister Darrington for inviting us to eat Thanksgiving dinner with them and all the senior missionaries.
5. To Elder Swain for taking Gavin for a walk around the pond outside, giving Craig and I a break from a busy boy and Gavin a chance at some Grandpa Time, even though all his grandpas are still in Utah.
6. For adult conversation.
7. For a husband who changed all the day's dirty diapers, every last one.
8. For a husband who went with me to get Christmas lights at the equivalent of a craft store, only bigger...
9. For a husband who told me to rent whichever movie I wanted and meant it, even after I walked out of Blockbuster with An Ideal Husband.
10. To have our Christmas decorations up.
11. For Craig who put up the tree even after a long day because he knew I really wanted it up. He also strung the lights (not quite the way I wanted them :), admired his work, and exclaimed with absolute self-satisfaction, "Tum-dah!" when he was finished. He may have even done this more than once...
12. That even though we only have like 8 ornaments total Craig still thinks the tree looks good.
13. That our boys sleep well at night, and always have.
14. For "chuggles" as Gavin calls them. I'm grateful that he finally is understanding that they aren't meant to be stifling, but endearing. He even asks to be snuggled these days. Mason has never not liked to be.
15. For the temple. For the power that unites families - old and young, near or FAR, dead or alive - as long as we keep our end of the bargain.
16. For Music. Its uplifting power, even on down days.
17. For my family, the one I was raised in, the one I married into, and the one my sweet husband and I are creating. Never in all my wildest dreams would I have imagined the blood, sweat and tears that goes into family life. Even when I wonder on the surface, though, deep down I know that it's worth it.
18. To know the purpose of life. Without that knowledge, I don't know if I'd put forth the effort. It sure does wear on ya...
19. For the profound lessons taught by children. Anger, frustration, and impatience are met with love, submissiveness, and forgiveness.
20. For unconditional love. For the atonement that gives me the strength and ability to work toward something better. For those who believe that someday I'll have it, and love me even when I don't, unconditionally.

2 comments:

Megan said...

beautiful.

Vicki said...

Very nice, Sharelle. Sure love you guys.