Friday, November 6, 2009

Cruisin'!!

My parents took us on a cruise in September. It was so fun! They wanted to squeeze a family trip in between Garrett getting home from his mission and Ashton leaving, so we could all go together. Gavin stayed with Grandma Valarie and Grandpa Brad for most of the time we were gone, then with Uncle Alan and Aunt Teresa for the rest. When we got home, he looked so grown up. He had learned so many different things while we were gone, and still to this day asks to be sung "Ay-die-bice" (trans. Eidelweiss) and "Sunshine" (aka You are My Sunshine) at bedtime. We had initially planned on taking Mason with us, but found out that the cruise ship didn't allow babies under 6 months onboard. As he was only 4 1/2 months, we had to leave him with Grandma Teresa and Grandpa Deareld. I missed my boys like crazy (especially Mason as I was thinking about him so often, pumping every three hours), but was so grateful to know that they were in such capable, loving hands. Miraculously, Mason took me right back after over two weeks of being bottle fed. I love my baby!
We embarked from Philadelphia. Craig and I had gone out a day early to check in on one of the franchises out there, then the fam followed so we could get on the ship together.
Waiting for the cabs at the hotel - my mom's gonna love this one! Me and my sweetie (oh, and Ashton...:)
Our ship was a smaller one called the Majesty We cruised up the New England/New Brunswick coast, and it was beautiful. Some days were a little chilly, so the only thing the trip lacked was hot, sunny days for laying out. I would have liked to have gotten a tan...

Our first stop was St. John/Bay of Fundy.

We took a wild ride in a jet boat! It was crazy - we all got soaked!
The crew - love Garrett's face in this one. Ashton and Tan's are pretty good too.
The architecture was definitely a highlight for me. There were so many cool homes and buildings.
So surreal...
After the jet boat ride, we headed out for some shopping. The guys and even Sara humored my mom and I while we had a blast looking for some finds!
The food was awesome!!! What's not to like about all-you-can-eat, none-you-have-to-cook cuisine? I was in heaven...
In Sydney, we were able to take it easy and just walk around the town. We stopped at a church where Mom gave everyone (especially Craig) a good laugh by reading this headstone aloud, "Here heth the body... Heth the body? Hmmm, I wonder if that's something they say around here." !!!! Close, Mom... he he
Garrett following his post-mission motto, Flirt to Convert.
The boys had fun being boys... Their escapades included leap frog, climbing very tall trees, and trying various feats of strength.


Another stop was Charlottetown, PEI where we visited the Lucy Maude Montgomery historic site which included the house that inspired Green Gables (as in Anne of Green Gables). Here's "Anne's room"
I don't have any pictures from our other two stops Peggy's Cove and Portland, Maine because my camera died. :(
I loved feeling so pampered on the ship. Not only did we not have to make our bed, we didn't have to turn down our own covers at night. Along with the turn-down service came lots of fun creatures...
Thanks for a great trip, Dad and Mom!

1 comment:

Liv said...

Sharelle!

I love PEI. I need to plan another trip there since it's been a dozen years.

I'm glad you got to visit Maine! I miss it in the summertime.