Monday, May 10, 2010

Little Linus

There are precious few movies that Craig can stand to watch over and over again--the Bourne series, The Blind Side made the cut, Just Like Heaven (he probably thinks Reese Witherspoon is cute, but who doesn't? Seriously). Even with those, though, he has to have a minimum time lapse between viewings. I, on the other hand can watch the same movies again and again, and each time gets sweeter and sweeter. It's probably because I have better taste in movies... Pride and Prejudice (ONLY the Collin Firth one, Kiera what's-her-face ruined the other one for me as well as the fact that Darcy and Elizabeth's attraction was portrayed as being based entirely on chemistry rather than admiration for one another's characters as they gradually discovered them...but I don't have very strong feelings about it :), Sense and Sensibility, North and South--they just reach a whole new realm of wonderfulness, "scrumptialescense" as my Nat would say. I could start Pride and Prejudice from segment four and watch it to the end indefinitely--I could do the same with the train scene from North and South. It NEVER gets old. Nothing is old about falling in love for the first time. What's amazing is that I can hit instant replay on the whole bit. I don't even have to hit the rewind button and wait for the VHS to get to the right spot anymore.

So that was a huge ramble. Back to what I was trying to say from the beginning. As a child (and teenager) growing up, one movie I never tired of watching over and over was a ghetto VHS recording from TV of all the Christmas cartoon classics made with love by my Dad. A Charlie Brown Christmas was a favorite. I love Linus's speech about the true meaning of Christmas. It still gets me teary. Linus totally has a mature view of things when it comes to the holidays. But there's nothing mature about his blanky addiction. Totally childish. But cute, because he is a child.



Well, here's my little Linus. He LOVES this blanky. It's the one ("in nuetral colors") Tay and Gar gave to Craig and I our first Christmas married right before we announced that they were all going to be uncles. My sweet little boy picks it up, slings it over his shoulder and carries it around with him when he's tired and waiting for me to lay him down.

Today he managed to get it over to the rocking chair where he climbed up (all by himself) and sat down. Then I think he decided the floor was too far away.
So he got back down, and tried again.
This time he got it right...
Oh, and here's my not-as-little Linus.

We refer to them both as the "Blanky Boys." Catchy, huh? Someone should make a movie with that title. It definitely sounds like a classic.

;)





14 comments:

KofoedFamily said...

They look so cute with their blankets! I can't wait to see what kind of character our little guy has!

The Incredible Westin said...

I like this post because it has movies at its heart. I have Craig's same requirements as far as time in between movies goes... but man that is a very short list of movies, there must be more. I have many movies (few by comparison to all the crappy ones that have been made) that I can watch over and over, all for different reasons. This post has inspired me to make a list of all my cool movies. As for your list of girl movies, Pride and Prejudice doesn't surprise me because you have always been a prideful and prejudicial person. So that is a good one for you. I have a hard time stomaching those types of movies, but some can be mildly entertaining. I just don't see why so many movies were made that are set in the most boring time period of all time periods. Anywayz, the odd thing about this is that I was thinking of a script idea about two brothers who loved their blankets so much that the blankets began to develop emotional feelings for the boys as well until one day the mom buys them a cool action figure of some kind (like Spider-man or Captain America) and they forget about the blankets, the blankets are so hurt by this act of betrayal that they chase the boys through the house and try to kill them. One of the boys actually gets suffocated by the blankets but the other boy narrowly escapes leaving the blankets trapped in the oven, which he turns on full blast, but that starts a fire and the house burns down, killing the whole family, except for the boy who runs out of the house and he is kidnapped and sold as a slave. The last scene is of him with a collar around his neck, chained to a fence outside at his new masters home (somewhere in Russia maybe) and some nice man sees him in the cold and offers him a blanket, the boy then flips out and strangles the nice man with the very blanket offered to him. I think "Blanky Boys" fits that plot line as a title. And it does sound like a classic.

Craig and Sharelle said...

I don't like that one Wes...not really what I had pictured. ha ha But you've proved how unfailingly on-the-spot creative you are.

Craig's list is longer, but it's so hard to think of them sometimes. The one that I'm feeling guilty about not mentioning is Meet Joe Black, and that one we both LOVE! I've heard it wasn't as good unedited, though...

Michelle said...

Your family picture is darling!!!

Kaitlyn said...

I just watched North and South for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Loved it!!! Have you seen Daniel Deronda? Another great one. BBC sure knows how to do movie adaptations on the classics. Oh! One movie that I could watch over and over and over again is the Scarlet Pimpernel. Sink me!

Your boys are adorable. I can't believe how big mason is! He is just too precious! Hope everything is going well for you guys in Florida!

Kaitlyn

The Madsen's said...

Sharelle I love it and I love you!! Your boys are the cutest. I wish so bad we lived closer so they could play and we could play. Someday I am going to fly there to spend a week with you.

Allison and Darin said...

I've never seen that first version of Pride and Prejudice, but I LOVE THE BOOK, so when I watch the Kiera Knightly version, I just pretend they're falling in love after getting to know each other instead of through Chemistry.

Mason is SO DANG CUTE!! I love that little picture sequence with the chair. I didn't know Gavin was a blanket boy! How cute! I can't wait to see you all again. :)

BJ said...

My little Annie adores her blanket too. I don't even know what we would do if we ever lost it! I'm glad it takes such a small thing to make them happy:)

Little D and B said...

Bracken is totally the same way with movies. Netflix is perfect for us because Bracken only wants to watch it once anyway. And I, of course, am just like you in the fact that I can watch it over and over again (maybe it's a Smith thing). I loved the blanky pictures! I can't believe you have a little blonde baby, he's so cute!

Mar~ said...

Hi Craig and Sharelle,

I thought I would pop onto your blog and see if you have any recent photos of your boys posted, and you do! They are so cute!
Are you loving Florida?

Hope you are well,

The Taylors said...

hey Sharelle! your mom came and visited us today. it was so fun to see her and hear about how all of you are doing. i wish you were coming out for a visit and we could do a get together. well i hope you are doing well.

The Madsen's said...

Oh Sharelley,

It't time for a new post my dear friend. :) Miss you

Love ya,
Nat

Heather said...

Adorable! I know that I'm late in the game, but I LOVED this post. So cute, Sharelle!

Michelle said...

Hey Sharelle! Haven't seen any new posts lately, I am dying to see you new baby! Hope you are doing well!
-Michelle